In light of my vacation to California coming up at the end of the week, I felt this was the perfect topic. It also doesn’t hurt that “What should I set my thermostat to when I’m away on vacation or I’m not home?” is a common question we hear from our customers. During the spring and summer months, people spend a lot of time on vacation. When these people come home, they don’t want to come back to an unbearably hot house. They especially don’t want to pay for unreasonably high energy bills when they haven’t even been home.
Picking the perfect temperature setting while on vacation depends on what the homeowner normally sets their cooling system temperature at when they are home. When on vacation, the thermostat should be set a maximum of five degrees higher than the normal setting. For example, If it is normally set at 73 when they are home, the thermostat should be set it at 78 while they are away.
This way energy is not wasted and the house won’t be overly toasty and humid when they return. It should be noted that cooling only changes the air 18 to 22 degrees, while heating changes the temperature 20 to 40 degrees.
It is important to NOT completely turn off the air conditioner so humidity is still being removed from the home. This is because heat and humidity is the ideal breeding ground for mold, mildew, and fungus.
Another option is to have us install a WiFi Thermostat for:
- Remote access with Cloud connectivity lets you adjust temperature and control energy costs from anywhere, using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- One-Touch Away Mode overrides your regular programming schedule when you’re away and automatically turns down heating or cooling to save energy.
- Weather-on-Demand with five-day forecast lets you know what to expect outside throughout the day.
- Alerts and Reminders not only will your iComfort Wi-Fi monitor itself with advanced diagnostics, it can also send you and your dealer alerts and emails if the system needs service or maintenance.
- The Nuvango™ skin option and matching screensaver allow you to cover and protect the thermostat interface with any design or pattern you prefer. You can also choose a color to blend in with your dÃ©cor or the thermostat screensaver.
- Automatic updates connect you to new features as they become available.
- Simple touchscreen interface with intuitive graphics and bright backlighting makes programming easy.