Nothing quite drives the winter blues away like getting back to the great outdoors. Besides the mood boost provided by vitamin D and fresh air, it’s also a great way to squeeze in family time. Try out these fun family outings for Spring:
- Go Geocaching – This is a real-life scavenger hunt with people from all over hiding and finding treasures. Check out http://www.geocaching.com to get started near you.
- Have a Garden Party – But forget the tiny tea sandwiches and fancy napkins. Instead, pick a few spring veggies, plant them together, then reap the delicious rewards at your family dinners all season.
- Tour Your Own Backyard – Not literally, of course. Check out some historical or artsy places in your hometown you haven’t visited in a while – or ever, like the Towers of York. Sightseeing in your own town can help you discover hidden gems that are all the more reason to love where you live.
Carbon Clean Merv 16 filter
Here is a DIY checklist to make sure your cooling system will save you money on your electric bill this spring and summer.
- Have the cooling system maintained and inspected yearly, by a qualified contractor like us.
- Set the thermostat at 78°F. Each degree higher saves approximately 6% on air conditioning costs.
- Don’t turn the thermostat lower than the desired setting. The house will not cool off any faster and can overshoot the desired temperature – wasting energy.
- Install a ceiling fan to create air movement. The air movement can keep you cool at a higher temperature, allowing you to avoid using your air conditioner, or letting you set the air conditioner at a higher temperature.
- Cut back plants, bushes, and trees that may restrict air flow to the outdoor unit.
- Keep the outdoor coils free of dirt, debris, and leaves.
- Keep windows shut when closing up the house for the day or when running the air conditioner.
- Make sure your clothes dryer is vented outdoors. You don’t need the heat or humidity inside the house.
- Close your drapes on hot days. If there is some way to shade your windows from the outside, this will keep out even more heat.
- Use kitchen and bath vents to rid the house of excess heat and moisture. Turn off the gas furnace pilot light in the summer.
- Change the furnace filter. They need to be changed anywhere from every 30-270 days.