Listed below are some simple things you can check to better control your electrical usage throughout the year.
- Install flow reducing shower heads
- Insulate your water heater, unless it’s a newer insulated model
- Insulate pipes in unheated spaces
- Vacuum the vents and coils for the refrigerator/freezer twice a year because dust makes them work longer to cool.
- Don’t block air circulation around the refrigerator
- Replace gaskets that don’t seal tightly on the refrigerator/freezer
- The higher the air temperatures are in a garage in the summer, the higher the operating costs of refrigerator/freezer will be.
- Use lower wattage lamps in fixtures where you don’t need as much light, such as hallways and bedrooms.
- Use florescent fixtures and lamps whenever possible. They use a quarter of an incandescent lamp, and provide the same amount of light, and last at least 7 times as long.