This is my go to recipe to use up zucchini’s from the garden and it is oh so delicious!
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 carton (15 ounces) light ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs)
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) low-sodium spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Drain; pat dry. In a bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper; set aside. Spread a third of the spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Cover with half of the zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers of sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce. Combine remaining crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings