Here are a number of simple and inexpensive DIY projects that will reduce your heating cost this winter and cooling costs next summer. These projects will also make your home a healthier and more comfortable place to live.
- Weather-strip the attic access door.
- Seal the holes between the heated space and the attic.
- Check weather-stripping on windows and doors inside and outside of the house.
- Caulk along baseboards with a clear sealant.
- Replace your old leaky windows. When unable to replace an inefficient window, install plastic over the inside of the window. If you desire something more permanent than plastic, install an interior storm window.
- Replace broken glass and any loose caulking.
- Replace an old warped entry door with a new insulated door.
- Keep dryer vent screens lint free.
- Seal any holes in the foundation wall with caulk for foam sealant.
- If you have a crawl space, place a layer of plastic on the dirt floor.