15 cool facts about air conditioners by How Stuff Works:
1. Movie theaters were one of the first public places to have air conditioning, so to get everyone to come to the movies, theaters would release big pictures in the summer. Hence the term “summer blockbuster.”
2. Without air conditioning, we wouldn’t have certain medications today – some medications could only be studied and developed in a cool environment.
3. Each year, the U.S. uses the same amount of energy to power air conditioners as Africa uses to power the entire continent.
4. Before air conditioners, people would keep things cool with big blocks of ice. When air conditioners were introduced, their output ratings were judged based on how much ice you would need to get the same cooling power.
5. The first air conditioner was invented by Willis Carrier in 1902. He worked at a publishing company and needed…
View original post 283 more words