Why you Should Worry About CO2

All About Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas.  It is a by-product of combustion that often comes from common household appliances.  Things that often give off carbon monoxide include…

-Gas or oil furnaces

-Gas refrigerators

-Gas clothes dryers

-Fireplaces

-Charcoal grills

-Woodburning stoves

-Automobiles (be especially cautious if you have an attached garage)

-Gas powered lawn mowers

If you’re overexposed to carbon monoxide it can cause symptoms like headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, confusion, irritability, vomiting, loss of consciousness, brain damage, and potentially death.  Since you can’t see, taste, or smell carbon monoxide, it is necessary to take extra precautions to ensure you and your family don’t get carbon monoxide poisoning.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises installing at least one carbon monoxide detector per household close to where you sleep. There are many different types of detectors to suit your exact needs.  The more detectors you have, the more protection provided.  We recommend you talk to your local heating contractor today if you don’t have a CO detector in your house.  Some other ways you can protect against carbon monoxide poisoning are…

1) having your gas appliances serviced every year by a qualified service technician

2) adjusting and cleaning stove burners so that CO produced is minimized

3) having proper ventilation to the outside

4) if you make changes that affect the ventilation of fuel-burning appliances, talk to your heating contractor

5) if you replace heating appliances, buy appliances specifically designed to reduce dangers from carbon monoxide

6) installing multiple CO detectors and inspecting them regularly

7) have your chimneys cleaned by someone certified in this line of work

8) have your dryer vents inspected and cleaned if necessary

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s